Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible to Paint Fireplace Trim Gold to Black?

Posted by tyjy (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 17, 10 at 16:41

Hi! Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find it on a Search...

The doors and some of the surrounding grill of our zero-clearance fireplace doors (converted from wood to gas) has GOLD metal trim (80's style!) I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to paint that same trim BLACK? If so, what kind of paint would you use and what sheen? I'd probably have to do it in place versus removing all the parts (or at least it'd be easier). I am hoping to update the look without having to replace the whole front panel. Thanks a million for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible to Paint Fireplace Trim Gold to Black?

We did. We used a special high heat fireplace paint. Looks brand new now, no 80's

o

THANK YOU for the reply!

Did you sand the gold areas first? (If so, just to rough it up OR to actually sand off as much gold as possible?)

Do you remember what brand paint and/or where I should ask? (Home Depot? Sherwin Williams type specialty store? Fireplace store?)

(I just hate to start something and be left a big mess on my hands!!)

Thank you so much again!

o

I think it would be a good idea to sand the surface first, and even then, there is a risk that some of the new paint will not adhere properly and may need to be redone. The reason I say that is because we had a black wrought iron table pedestal repainted professionally. We were told that they "abraded" the surface first by sanding it down before applying the new paint, which did not involve a change in color.

I would therefore try to make the surface as rough as possible before putting paint on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here