Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smoke back up...

Posted by ribmaster (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 16:24

my cousin has a free standing fireplace in his small Carriage house that has a TV and tables chairs etc. so in the winter time he lights a fire and he gets a lot of smoke back up ...everything is new,chimney has a cap on it, damper is open wide, the pipe is a 8" into a 6" that goes into a 2 bends then up the chimney and out the top of the roof...any idea why it is (smoke) backing up ...only happens when the doors are open to the fireplace.......TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smoke back up...

How tight is the house? It sounds to me there's no draft. Crack open a window and let some air flow in the house.
But I don't understand why the chimney is going from an 8" which is what's needed for a fireplace, to a 6" which is what's needed for a woodstove.
It's like having 3" exhaust pipes coming from your car engine and then halfway through the exhaust system, going down to 2 inch pipes. It's just doesn't work.
You're restricting the flow of the exiting gasses.

o

Sounds like a fireplace that was installed without any consideration to proper fireplace design. Many contractors just build these from gut feel, but there is much more technical consideration required. It all has calculations...firebox opening, flue size, chimmney height, direction of the roof, etc.

o

I agree totally with the last 2 posters, but I would like to add several other things that could possibly cause this problem. The chimney should be at least 2' above the peak of the roof. Sometimes nearby conifer trees can cause negative draft depending on which direction the wind is coming from. Does the stove have a catalytic combustor? Is it clean?? Hope this helps! PLEASE get back to us & let us know how you make out!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here