Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cast Stone Mantels

Posted by SFMelanie (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 15:47

I have seen some beautiful cast stone mantels/surrounds in magazines, but will I really like them as much in person? Do they look like the real thing. They seem to run as much as $3000 or $4000. How do I find a local dealer (I'm in northern Calif.) so I can check them out. Any advise when shopping for cast stone? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cast Stone Mantels

Blaze Fireplaces in Downtown SF has a beautiful showroom with 30+ working fireplaces with mantels made from all types of materials.

o

I'm currently researching these now. Metastone, Old World Stoneworks, Stonemagic, etc. Has anyone installed one of these? How bad do they discolor? Are they difficult to maintain? Are they worth the $$? (The one I'm pricing is around $5k.. egad!)

o

bump... I'd like to know the same thing. Anyone?

o

I bought my mantel from Old World Stoneworks and just love it! It looks & feels like real limestone. Once it was installed I put a coat of Prime-A-Pell sealer on it. If anything is spilled on it I can clean it easily. Just get some mild detergent and a soft brush. It is definitely worth the $$$ and is a great focal point to my living room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here