Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

fireplace doorset..when is hot too hot..

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

we have a masonry fireplace that now has a propane gas unvented logset. Many times we use the log set with the flu open for effect. Sometimes thoght we close the flu to keep all the heat in the house. We generally leave it like this for an hour or so because 1) it get to hot in the house and 2)it smells.

Anyway we just replaced a 20 year old bifold doorset with a newer 2 door set from Lowes. You may have seen them, solid black, reg - $229. We bought half price on clearance. I realize these are not $900 door sets but its nicer than what we had, less drafty than what we had, was cheap and best of all, made in the USA.

It came with some strips of fiberglass insulation that lay in channels along the top and sides to protect the inside from heat...or so says the manual.

Well, the sucker gets VERY hot, especially at the top. I called GHP and they said the doorset is fine with masonry fireplaces. I described our logset and they stuck to their story....though I am unsure the person I spoke with is anyone other than the lady answering phones.

Need I worry about the doorset melting or paint peeling or anyything. Should I add more insulation inside? Even if I did the hot air still comes out the top so the top outside is going to get hot no matter what.

What do you think?

Comments (3)

• SeattlePioneer
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think you may wind up killing or injuring someone by meddling with your fireplace.

You are violating several safety warnings about operating unvented equipment. It is generally NOT permitted to use it for heating purposes, NOT permitted to operate unvented equipment that has an odor.

Combine this by restricting combustion air to the fireplace with your glass doors and you could have designed a real killer.

Frankly, you don't have a clue about operating the equipment you have and obviously have never read or don't bother to follow the warnings that come with unvented equipment.

You should remove this equipment for safety, because no reasonable person would trust you to operate it properly.

Sorry, but there you are.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what the heck are you talking about?

1) I think you may wind up killing or injuring someone by meddling with your fireplace.

I bought a logset specifically designed to be unvented, ie the flu MAY remain closed. I am aware of the potential moisture issues. The smell issue supposedly is from new paint or carpet or glade plug ins combusting as the fp draws air from in the room. Its not propane we are smelling. The logset I bought also says you may open the flu slightly or all they way if desired. Doing so leaves you with a nice looking fire and all your heat going up the chimeny...but the pretty fire is what we actually bought the unit for---if it did not smell we'd likely use it more for heat. For now its a heater only when it extremely cold outside.

2) You are violating several safety warnings about operating unvented equipment. It is generally NOT permitted to use it for heating purposes, NOT permitted to operate unvented equipment that has an odor.

I bought the logset from a dealer who installed and a propane tank. Why would they sell a logset that does not need to be vented to the outside if not for heating purposes? I doubt they could sell something illegal and get away it for years and years the dealer has been in business. We understood the potential odor issue going in. They said there would likely be no odor but I knew better. Still it seamed more economical to try this type rather than the vented type that has a little nicer fire, uses more gas but NEVER gives off any heat to the home as your flu is bolted open year round.

3) Combine this by restricting combustion air to the fireplace with your glass doors and you could have designed a real killer.

I am not even sure what this means...please elaborate? We have an open floor plan....the fp is not in a small room with a door. The door are open when the fire is on. They are closed when only the pilot is on. BTW, we turn the pilot off April thru Novemebr.

4)Frankly, you don't have a clue about operating the equipment you have and obviously have never read or don't bother to follow the warnings that come with unvented equipment.

What are the rules I am not following? Perhaps I did make it clear that we are aware the doors should remain OPEN when the fire is turned on. The screen doors remain closed.

5)You should remove this equipment for safety, because no reasonable person would trust you to operate it properly.

So after reading up on these types of logsets (sure a $4K insert would have been better), posting questions here, seeing them inoperation and having a dealer install and train us on its use...I know nothing?

PLEASE EDUCATE ME! Hey I am big enough to leave open the possibilty that I misunderstood a monumental amount of stuff. Are you big enough to admit that maybe you are having a bad day?

Again, Our old door set also got very hot with gas log set too. It was made of a thinner material and was warped a bit at the bootom from the previous owner brning wood. I assume it got hot for him too.

So, I bought a door set specifically for a masonry fp, called the vendor who said it should be fine as long as the logset was in a masonry fireplace but was looking for some reassurance that the thing won't warp or paint peel. This set is a much heavier metal than the last but they alway say they do not make 'em like they used too.

If I am misunderstanding something, please advise. Now if you are telling me the doorset is NOT suppose to get hot to the touch whether a wood fire is burning or a gas fire...then I want to know that too.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I checked again with the dealer. They said it will get very hot. They said I could crack the damper slightly to alleviate some heat.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH