Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Insert or wood?

Posted by tomoni (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 15:38

I'm looking to put an insert into my old masonry fireplace. When I went to the store today I was intrigued by the ease of use and maintenance of a gas insert. As I have natural gas coming into the house and I live in the suburbs of Long Island where I would have to buy wood I'm leaning to the gas insert. Anyone have an opinion?
Thanks in advance.

Tom on LI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Insert or wood?

The optimal gas insert is a direct vent insert. It is completely sealed from the indoors so it does not affect indoor air quality. It is safe, even for sleeping rooms -- some gas logs are not. And it is highly energy efficient. Most traditional fireplaces, whether insert or not, send most of the heat up the chimney, so they do not heat much. Direct vent throws off really serious heat. But they do cost -- prepare to spend $2-3K.

Wood inserts are typically not direct vent, which means they are not sealed systems. But I believe they do provide more heat than a conventional fireplace. The advantage of the gas insert is that it requires little or no attention, especially if you get one with a remote thermostat. But if you like the idea of lighting a fire and keeping it going, wood might be right for you. In that case you should take a look at the forum in <>. The guys there love wood and are happy to be helpful.

Whatever you decide, make sure you check out the background of your installer. These devices take at least a whole day to install properly, and you need someone who will pay attention to the details and get them right.

o
RE: Gas Insert or wood? I meant to say . . .

For some reason, the website I mentioned did not get printed in my previous post. Here it is:

hearth.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here