Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace depth

Posted by niki3sons (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 15:28

Hi,
We are thinking about adding 2 fireplaces--one to our family room and one to our patio outside. The fireplaces would share a chimney but have 2 separate flues. Does anyone know what the depth of the fireplace would be (how much it would stick out into the family room and onto the patio ). It would be an average size wood burning fireplace (fireplace inserts about 30 inches). Thanks for any input. Just trying to decide if the chimney would take up too much room in our already narrow family room

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace depth

Go with a Rumford style fireplace. Not really any more expensive or difficult than a traditional, but it lets you view the fire better, it's about half as deep, tends not to smoke in the room as easily, and is far more efficient.

Customers that go with a properly built Rumford fireplace, even those customers that initially wanted a traditional, never regretted it. In fact, in ALL cases they are very enthusiastic about their rumfords and wouldn't go to a traditional design ever again.

Note: make sure that your chimney is well-built by a competent mason and that it is at least 3' taller than the tallest portion of your home and your fireplace will work beautifully. The "10-2-3" rule is a minimum code requirement for safety and NOT a recommendation for proper performance - if your mason disagrees, get a different one or insist that he build the stack to terminate minimum of 3' higher than the HIGHEST portion of the roof on the entire home. Anything less will create downdrafts when not in use, draft poorly and generally be an unpleasant experience.

o
RE: Fireplace depth

I agree with the comment about height of chimney. Have lived in a 1960's ranch with fireplace added later.

Don't think whoever put up the thing really understood the dynamics very well. I know they didn't know much about proper masonry and brickwork, looking at the exterior.

The top of the chimney is NOT taller than the ridge of the house (the highest point). Might be OK if the chimney was on the east side of the house, but it is not.

To use this chimney on a regular basis safely, I'd have to:
1) add a number of feet to top
2) Have a proper mason repair the mortar
3) Have a good inspection by a decent chimney company, including running a camera down the interior to check out things.

My inspection guy pre-sale, did not mention this. At least one other sale occurred between the chimney and me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here