Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki3sons

Fireplace depth

niki3sons
11 years ago

Hi,
We are thinking about adding 2 fireplaces--one to our family room and one to our patio outside. The fireplaces would share a chimney but have 2 separate flues. Does anyone know what the depth of the fireplace would be (how much it would stick out into the family room and onto the patio ). It would be an average size wood burning fireplace (fireplace inserts about 30 inches). Thanks for any input. Just trying to decide if the chimney would take up too much room in our already narrow family room

Comments (2)

• berlin
    11 years ago

Go with a Rumford style fireplace. Not really any more expensive or difficult than a traditional, but it lets you view the fire better, it's about half as deep, tends not to smoke in the room as easily, and is far more efficient.

Customers that go with a properly built Rumford fireplace, even those customers that initially wanted a traditional, never regretted it. In fact, in ALL cases they are very enthusiastic about their rumfords and wouldn't go to a traditional design ever again.

Note: make sure that your chimney is well-built by a competent mason and that it is at least 3' taller than the tallest portion of your home and your fireplace will work beautifully. The "10-2-3" rule is a minimum code requirement for safety and NOT a recommendation for proper performance - if your mason disagrees, get a different one or insist that he build the stack to terminate minimum of 3' higher than the HIGHEST portion of the roof on the entire home. Anything less will create downdrafts when not in use, draft poorly and generally be an unpleasant experience.

• robertz6
    11 years ago

I agree with the comment about height of chimney. Have lived in a 1960's ranch with fireplace added later.

Don't think whoever put up the thing really understood the dynamics very well. I know they didn't know much about proper masonry and brickwork, looking at the exterior.

The top of the chimney is NOT taller than the ridge of the house (the highest point). Might be OK if the chimney was on the east side of the house, but it is not.

To use this chimney on a regular basis safely, I'd have to:
    1) add a number of feet to top
    2) Have a proper mason repair the mortar
    3) Have a good inspection by a decent chimney company, including running a camera down the interior to check out things.

My inspection guy pre-sale, did not mention this. At least one other sale occurred between the chimney and me.