Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need a new wood stove?

Posted by manor (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 14:35

I am in a 30 year old brick 1200sq ft bungalow located off the shore of Lake Huron in Ontario. (Kincardine) We take winter seriously here and embrace it.

The house came with a Hughes small to medium sized stove. I don't know how old it is. 10-20 yrs? Non catalytic. It burns okay and there are usually hot embers in the morning to start a new fire.

I just don't feel that it burns hot enough to keep my furnace from coming on. (and my thermostat is set for 66 deg!) I heat with an electric forced air, so am anxious to keep it off $$$$ as much as possible.

I have been looking at the Pacific Energy stoves and it looks they are more efficient and can do the job I want.

Is it worth it? Am I going to be disappointed.

Thanks for your opinions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need a new wood stove?

Well, if your current wood stove isn't providing the heat that you want, one solution would be to replace it with a larger capacity stove.

In order to do so, though, you need to know what heating capacity your current stove has.

How's the insulation in your home? How about the windows? If those are subpar and leaving in lots of winter air, it might be more logical to start there with improvement.

o
RE: Do I need a new wood stove?

Have you looked up you stove on the web to find specs on it? If its only putting out 40,000 BTUs and you upgrade to an 80,000 BTU stove, I think you'll be glad you did. Also what kind of wood are you burning? The type wood you burn makes a bigger differance then a lot of people think.
You can find more info on this website www.southernchimneysweep.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Chimney Sweep

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here