Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
See-Through Fireplace Privacy

Posted by mattremodel (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 13:37

My wife and I are considering purchasing a house that has a see through fireplace between the master bedroom and family room. We love the house, but we aren't a big fan of the fireplace placement. We prefer our guests and children not being able to see into our bedroom from the family room. In the master bedroom, the see through fireplace is on a wall we might want to place our bed against. I am guessing even if putting the bed on that wall provided privacy, we probably wouldn't want to expose our bed to the heat from the fireplace.

Do you know of any options for sheetrocking or otherwise covering up one side of a two-sided fireplace? Are there any concerns when doing this? Would we need to replace the fireplace or can we just cover up the back of it? Are there any other privacy options for a two-sided fireplace?

Thanks,

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: See-Through Fireplace Privacy

Regarding alterations to your see-through fireplace, you did not note whether the fireplace is a wood-burning masonry, wood-burning manufactured, or gas-burning fireplace.
The gas-burning units are CSA design certified, therefore it cannot be altered without use of manufacturer
approved and tested materials. Owner alterations can result in loss of homeowner's insurance under claim. Most Wood-burning manufactered fireplaces are subject to the same issues. Therefore replacement of the units may be the only option, if you want a fireplace in that location in the family room.
If it is a masonry woodburning fireplace , even if with a gas log set, one side can be bricked up in accord with NFPA 211. If a gas logset is used, it would have to be replaced with one for sigle sided use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here