Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattremodel

See-Through Fireplace Privacy

mattremodel
14 years ago

My wife and I are considering purchasing a house that has a see through fireplace between the master bedroom and family room. We love the house, but we aren't a big fan of the fireplace placement. We prefer our guests and children not being able to see into our bedroom from the family room. In the master bedroom, the see through fireplace is on a wall we might want to place our bed against. I am guessing even if putting the bed on that wall provided privacy, we probably wouldn't want to expose our bed to the heat from the fireplace.

Do you know of any options for sheetrocking or otherwise covering up one side of a two-sided fireplace? Are there any concerns when doing this? Would we need to replace the fireplace or can we just cover up the back of it? Are there any other privacy options for a two-sided fireplace?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment (1)

• moonwandrr
    14 years ago

Regarding alterations to your see-through fireplace, you did not note whether the fireplace is a wood-burning masonry, wood-burning manufactured, or gas-burning fireplace.
    The gas-burning units are CSA design certified, therefore it cannot be altered without use of manufacturer
    approved and tested materials. Owner alterations can result in loss of homeowner's insurance under claim. Most Wood-burning manufactered fireplaces are subject to the same issues. Therefore replacement of the units may be the only option, if you want a fireplace in that location in the family room.
    If it is a masonry woodburning fireplace , even if with a gas log set, one side can be bricked up in accord with NFPA 211. If a gas logset is used, it would have to be replaced with one for sigle sided use.