Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Cresote in redwood studs

Posted by pelufo (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 13:10

I have a 1920's frame house with a chimney along one end of the exterior wall. I was installing an HDTV over the fireplace this weekend, and when I drilled the bracket into the studs, the drill bit retained some pungent, yellow sticky wood upon backing out of the hole, almost seemed like sap but I am assuming it is creosote. This was only at the 2 holes within the stud that falls in line with the chimney itself, the one alongside it had dry regular redwood shavings. Unless framing members were treated with creosote back then, I can only assume it is buildup from when the fireplace was wood burning. At some point a gas fireplace insert was installed, works fine with no apparent heat at the wall surrounding the chimney. I am wondering if there is any danger in this buildup living within the wall farming, even with the unit having it's own surround and not being wood burning. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Cresote in redwood studs

I don't think it would be creosote for 2 reasons. 1. If the wood in the flue were exposed to exhaust from the fireplace enough to create creosote deposits, your house would be non-existent! 2. Creosote deposits are black, not yellow. Some woods hold sticky sap for many years and I believe this is what you are seeing. If there was creosote in the structure, it wouldn't ignite before the wood did anyway. If your fireplace insert was installed correctly and the correct chimney liner installed, you shouldn't have a problem.

RE: Cresote in redwood studs

Wow, I hope you're right. Sap was my first thought, but when it showed up in both holes I drilled several inches apart along the same stud, I thought it would be strange to have a pocket of sap span that far. It was definitely yellow, and stuck to the drill bit with a vengeane; took twice as long to drill those holes vs the others. Thanks for your reassurance.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here