Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting brass fireplace doors..

Posted by roorezzi (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 06 at 12:49

DH and I just bought our first house. We have a fireplace but would like to do something to the doors. THey are brass and it doesn;t fit with our decor. Right now a new screen or doors is out of the question.
Heres a pic of the FP.

Can you paint over the brass or do something to give it a more antiqued look?

If so, can it be done in the house?

A FP is a new experience for us. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ruth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting brass fireplace doors..

You have a couple options. The brass could be either plated or solid. I would suspect it's plated but you could test it by sanding an edge where it won't be so noticeable first with 400 grit paper to be sure. Some finishes are also clear coated to protect against oxidation but that can be removed with thinner. If you want to paint it you'll first need to remove any clearcoat protection and then sand off the brass plating which will not be a fun job. Then a heavy defect covering primer, to hide those sanding marks, and high temp paint that works together with the primer could be applied. Another option is chemically altering the brass itself with a hobby/craft product like Blacken-it or similar home brew remedies that will change the color but will not rub off like paint can. Do a search for "metal finishing"+brass using say Google and you'll get some product direction. Hope this helps.

o

I just came across this posting. Did you ever paint the brass doors on the fireplace? I have the same problem with mine and don't know what to do with them.

Thanks

o

Hi, I came across this old thread and was wondering if anyone had used this blackin-it product on brass fireplace doors. I have the same doors as roorezzi and would like to change the shiny brass look .Anyone out their that has done it? Could you please post pictures.

o

A lot of people paint their doors with grill paint or automitve engine paint. anything to withstand high heat. Try the home decorating forum for MUCH more traffic.

o

Our frame and handles are brass, glass doors are black. We would like to paint just the frame as opposed to purchasing a whole glass doors, screens, etc.
Thanks,
Retta

o

I painted it with high heat black paint. I bought the smallest size available, not sure if it was a pint or a quart but it came out great and I have about 99% of the paint left.

It is an easy project and makes a world of difference. I lightly sanded the trim and then painted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here