Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balithai2

Small Modern Stoves - Hearthstone Bari or ?

balithai
14 years ago

I am in escrow to buy a mid-century home that has an inefficient free-standing fireplace (from a 1970s remodel). See photo below. I would like to replace it with a woodstove or gas stove, but keep with the home's original clean, modern lines. I am really new to this process, and have no ideas really where to start, what brands are reliable and not unduly expensive, and what considerations I should keep in mind.

I'd like to be as energy efficient as possible. This stove will not be the home's primary source of heat, but will be used primarily to heat the family room and kitchen in the winter (medium mild winter area).

From a quick internet search, I turned up the Hearthstone Bari. http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=27 Does anyone have any thoughts about this stove? Or any recommendations for a smaller, modern-looking woodstove?

Any all help appreciated!

--BaliThai

Comments (8)

• bikesr2tired
    14 years ago

I don't know if you want to replace this stove with one that just looks different or more efficient. If it's the latter I would suggest keeping this stove and install a Magic Heat unit in the flue pipe. You would be amazed at the heat they put out! They are incredibly easy to install and cost around $180.00. I've used one for years and wouldn't be without it. The only drawback is some fan noise which I don't find that objectionable. Check out the link I included and look at the reviews. The unit shown is for a 6" pipe but I'm sure an 8" is also available. It looks like your unit is an 8".
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Heat Reclaimer for Gas Stove

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Try the forum at hearthnet.com for someone with experience with this model.

I do have a more traditional Hearthstone stove that I love. Doesn't quite live up to its advertised burn time but sooooo much better than my old fireplace. If you do buy a Hearthstone, do go through a dealer with a good reputation, etc. since the Hearthstone company itself has no customer service and does not deal directly with stove owners. Apparently several of the stove companies are set up this way. Isn't an issue unless you need to replace a part and your local dealer has gone AWOL. (I was able to get my part from another dealer.)

• nhyankee
    14 years ago

Bali, I'm not sure what your definition of unduly expensive is but a Bari goes from somewhere between $3,800 and $4,400. If you're OK with that price range there are a number of stoves which would fit your needs. Simpler, smaller stoves would include the Nestor Martin R33, Morso 3142 or 6140, or a Scan Andersen series. For more money you could go with a Max Blank which are the Rolls Royce of wood stoves. I would personally recommend the Pacific Energy Fusion. They range in price from $1,850 or so up to $2,400 depending on the cladding and come with an optional fire screen for open door viewing so you could still have some fireplace functionality. These are very well built stoves from Canada with a good US dealer network and substantial warranties.

There are virtually no American stove companies that make modern looking stoves but all of the ones I mentioned do sell in the US. All of those brands above are reliable but it may be hard to find dealers in your area or difficult to get replacement parts in the future.

There are many other great European brands like Rika and Palazetti that would suit your design goals really well but they don't sell on our side of the pond, unfortunately. Good luck.

• balithai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

bikesr2tired - the existing fireplace isn't a woodstove - its an open fireplace, not insulated and really not the aesthetic I want. But I appreciate the recommendation - I'd not heard of the Magic Heat unit.

nhyankee - thank you for the recommendations! The Bari might likely be out of my price range - much will depend on the total cost of repairs/remodel to be done. But I really appreciate the input about the other stoves. I had found the Scan's - but not the others. I really appreciate your help! And a number of the ones you mentioned have dealers in my area, so I can do some homework!

Thank you again for the feedback!

• olychic
    14 years ago

I have a Morso woodstove installed in 1983. Very european design. They don't make my model anymore, but boy do I love this stove. So efficient and good looking. I heat exclusively with wood and it is obviously a long lived stove. Highly recommended! they have smaller modesl, too. I don't usually burn with the door open, just did this to add some light for photo.Sorry, I can't figure out how to make this photo smaller.

• balithai
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you olychic - great looking stove! My list of possibilities is getting longer! This is great! Thank you!

• fandlil
    14 years ago

The fed government is giving tax credits for purchase and installation of stoves that meet certain energy efficiency standards. (But if you're income is above a certain limit, you do not qualify.)

I would check energystar.gov to find out about those options.