Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very loud BANG when you shut off gas fireplace

Posted by nsf798 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 2, 07 at 12:27

The longer we run the fireplace, the louder the BANG is. It's really loud. Loud enough that we jump everytime even though we are expecting it. It will make the bang 2-3 times & it's loudest a few minutes after shutting it off. We called the seller/installer & he is coming by to look at it tonight. But I'm worried because he told dh "they do that". Anyone know what's causing this & what to do to fix it? I want to make sure I know what to say & do when he's here.

Also, I'll ask for a little more advice if anyone wants to chime in. We've been trying for months to get stone installed on this fireplace. The same place we purchased the fireplace from has been promising me a bid since Sept/October. I went in in Oct. & told her I wanted it done by Thanksgiving. She promised me it would be. I waited & waited just for a bid. It never came & I decided to start calling everyday. I did that for about a week with no luck. I went & talked to her again, she promised me again it would be done by Thanksgiving. That was about 3 weeks before t-giving. I continued to call them & bug them & nothing ever happened. So after the holiday came & went I gave up. Now that they are coming over today because of this problem, dh asked again about the stone. I'm really mad about this still & really don't think they deserve to do & get my money. But we've tried various other places without any luck too. And I know this guy does excellent installs. I don't know what to do. I feel like the bid should reflect all this time we've waited, what do you think? IF they ever get it to me, what can I say? I appreciate it if you made it this far, and will apprieciate your advice. thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very loud BANG when you shut off gas fireplace

I would suppose that what you are hearing is the metal contracting in size as the fireplace cools. I've never heard that described as a bang, though.

There is a phenomena called extinction pop that can happen when a gas burner shuts off, but that wont happen more than once.

You should probably have the fireplace checked out by a repairman to be sure there isn't some hazardous problem.

Seattle Pioneer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here