Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypie_gw

Slate vs Honed Granite

jennypie
19 years ago

We are planning on having either a slab of slate or a slab of honed Absolute Black granite installed for our hearth. Our granite installer told us that slate wouldn't hold up very well and recommended the granite (he also just happened to have a remnant of the granite he wants to get rid of). Has anyone here had any experience with either material? We are planning to have a tiled, 20's style craftsman fireplace surround.

Thanks, Jenny

Comments (6)

• ventupete
    19 years ago

We have a 12" slate tile raised hearth in our kitchen eating area and it's held up really well and looks good. Either of your choices should work technically so go with the one you like the best!

• knoto55
    19 years ago

I chose a Granite Hearth for my Vermont Castings Direct Vent Propane Fireplace. Since my Great Room has lots of angles, I did not get a rectangular hearth. Instead the length of the hearth against the fireplace is 5 feet in length and the length of the outer edge is 4 feet. The sides angle in evenly to make it 4 feet. And it turned out fantastic. It's also leftover granite - Blue Pearl - from my kitchen.

I was also going to get a mantle and corbels made from the granite until I heard how much they would weigh. Since I'm already putting a 5 foot wide heavy antique custom made mirrow above the fireplace, I didn't want to add more weight. My mantle will be a paint grade wooden one that I'll paint a flat black.

My fireplace surround is Vermont Casting's cast iron bay window and surround. It's not installed yet. But when it's done it should all look awesome.

Note: Instead of slate, did you check out Bluestone? I would think Bluestone would be more durable than slate.

Ken

• MrNaturalStone
    19 years ago

Sir either one are durable for fireplace it's all up to you on which color you like. My father and I have done over 3000 fireplaces in Granite and Slate so just get samples that you like take them to your fireplace and pick the one that looks good. In Granite I will tell you that Absolute Black is the preffered color because it is the strongest of the Granite colors. Also make sure your installer has exp. and don't be afraid of asking a lot of questions, It's your fireplace and you will have to live with the results so take your time and good luck.(Fred G.)

• archae2
    19 years ago

I am having my fireplace covered with slab marble (crema marfil). Do I use the same marble for the hearth (flat on ground) or do I use slate or darker colored stone?

Thanks

• guntars
    15 years ago

I personally prefer Slate. I think Slate gives little more cozy, inviting (wormer) look and wont be as flat looking like black granite.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company