Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new fireplace

Posted by ehambrick (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 08 at 12:12

i am going to begin a project of installing a fireplace, extending from the basement area to my first floor, with the chimney extending above the roof according to code. the chimney will be on the exterior of the home. question is does the footer for the project need to be poured with a 4' footer and and a footprint of +8" of what my fireplace will be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new fireplace

I suggest you go to the forum at hearth.com. There you are likely to get the kind of expert advice you are seeking from enthusiasts who live and breath fireplaces.

Good luck.

o
RE: new fireplace

Here is the lates International Mechanical code one and two family dwellings code concerning concerning footing requirements

'R1003.2 Footings and foundations. Footings for masonry
chimneys shall be constructed of concrete or solid masonry at
least 12 inches (305 mm) thick and shall extend at least 6 inches
(152 mm) beyond the face of the foundation or support wall on
all sides. Footings shall be founded on natural undisturbed
earth or engineered fill belowfrost depth. In areas not subjected
to freezing, footings shall be at least 12 inches (305 mm) below
finished grade.'

If you want more details about reinforcement requirements please post your questions on my forum Hearthtalk.com or use the provided link

Here is a link that might be useful: Hearthtalk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here