Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I get rid of the wood burner?

Posted by mattcadders (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 12:00

Hi,

Having just recently bought a clay lump construction house in need of some TLC i have come to a halt in proceedings with regards to one of our fireplaces.

It is currently housing a large multifuel burner. So large that the clay lump is deteriorating. The inside of the fireplace is crumbling.

Repairing it is not a problem, however should I extract the woodburner and reinstate the fire place or could i repair and then line the fireplace to prevent the problem re occuring?

The burner only has about 6 inches clearance from the wall on each side.

We quite like the idea of keeping the burner as our other fireplace is open and in good working order.

Any advice is welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I get rid of the wood burner?

"clay lump"

Huh?

o

Greetings. Sorry, I can't help answer your questions, but see you are located in the UK. Would "clay-lump construction" mean mud brick, which is similar to what some of us here in the USA call adobe?

o

Clay certainly will crack up if it is subjected to a lot of heat. When I fitted a fireplace, I was told to use concrete rather than plaster around a tight fitting mutli-fuel stove. I ignored this advice and the plaster cracked! I imagine clay does much the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: The costs of reinstating a fireplace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here