Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishmaycraft

Gas log horrible smell....Help!!

fishmaycraft
18 years ago

We had a set of non-vented logs installed around October and we immediately noticed a strong smell coming from the logs. We called the gas company back out and they tightened all of the fittings, the smell continued, they came back again and replaced the pilot lite. Now, 4 months later the smell continues. It is not a continuous smell, it seems to come and go, sometimes it is very strong throughout the house, and sometimes you barely smell it. Also, you smell it when the logs are not burning, just the pilot lite is on.

Can anyone give me any help? The gas co. that put them in doesn't seem to have any ideas.

Thanks,

FMC

Comments (4)

• mountainstoveguy
    18 years ago

Some people are more sensitive to smell with vent free then others. IF the logs are placed exactly how the manufacture states they should be you could be getting flame impingment. That is the flame licks a log where its not supposed to be and doesnt combust completly. If everything is right, then its likly that you are to sensitive to the smell. Not much else to go wrong with them in regards to incomplete combustion. If thats the case, you can crack the damper and not loose all your heat, but loose some of the smell.

• fishmaycraft
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We had non-vented logs in our last house and never had a problem with smelling them. I do know that when you push the lighter, the whole log set moves around, so maybe they are not in the right position now?

• mountainstoveguy
    18 years ago

If the logs are concrete, they should be nothched to fit, if there ceramic the typically have pins that they sit on. Get your owners manual and verify log placement and check the notches on the logs as well. Is there any sooting at all on any of the logs? that will tell you right away that they arent in the proper position. Take all the logs out and see if you smell anything.

• L Stahlschmidt
    2 years ago

I was in a fireplace seller 11/2/2021 and one of the log reps was talking to the owner. I tried to overhear the conversation. I heard the rep say that older and cheaper logs where made of some composite, but their company’s logs were now made of concrete. Thus the odor the other logs material makes. Being that my logs were made in 2005 probably explains the odor we have been enduring for all these years. Sounds like the manufacturers know this was an issue, and are keeping it hush hush. I tried researching this when I got home, but it’s vague about gas logs causing the odor. Some articles say that the logs can cause the odor, yet still point fingers at many other variables. So, when not one article is written by a log manufacturer about log odor (most written by resellers and chimney cleaners), it’s says to me their lips are sealed, yet they are aware they are quilts if they have changed the make-up of the product.