Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chimney for Pellet Stove?

Posted by mtnman2 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 11:28

I am considering purchasing a Harmon P68 Pellet stove. Can these stoves be vented into an existing masonry chimney? Some people have told me that I have to run pellet vent all the way up my existing chimney. They are claiming that the stove cannot push the exhaust out a regular sized chimney. The chimney has an excellent draw. I have a two story house, and probably 25 to 30 feet of chimney. I don't want to spend the money on the vent pipe if I don't need too. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chimney for Pellet Stove?

The advice you have been given is very likely correct. Most fireplace flues are grossly oversized for a pellet stove, and a chimney liner to reduce that and properly vent the pellet stove is almost certainly specified in the installation standards for the stove. Your dealer should be happy to point that out to you in the manual for the stove if you ask.

And it doesn't mattter how well your fireplace vents.

Sorry --- there is a huge difference between your fireplace and the stove, and this is reflected in different requirements for venting the combustion products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here