Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drywall to brick

Posted by Orr7576 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 11:09

I am refacing my brick fireplace and installing decorative tile 1' around the opening of the fireplace. for the drywall I am placing around the tile I am wondering what I can do to adhere the drywall to the brick. So far I have found out that contruction adhesive and screws will do the trick but I would like to do this correctly so I do not have to go back and redo the entire proejct.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drywall to brick

I would attach 1x3 or 1x4 furring strips to the brick, and then attach the drywall to the furring strips using glue (polyurethane construction adhesive) and short drywall screws (enough to go through the furring strip but not all the way into the brick).

This would preserve your brick with minimal damage. Also, I'm not sure you could screw drywall straight into the brick anyway. (maybe you can; I've never tried it).

o

Thanks for the reply, I have found out that I must use anchor screws that will anchor in the brick to hold up the drywall every 2' to secure it to the face of the brick I am resurfacing. This way is suppose to be the most secure and efficeint way to hang the drywall on the brick.

I hope that this will help anyone else who is attempting the same thing I am.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here