Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding a mantle?

Posted by erinb007 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 10:45

What does this fireplace need? If I added a white wood mantle, would it look strange or finish it off? I am painting the trim white and the sliders will be replaced with white french doors. Thanks!!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding a mantle?

A lot depends on personal taste. In my opinion, you do not need a mantle, and it would look wrong because of the huge visual presence imposed by the rocks that go all the way up to the ceiling. I also think that a mantle often does not look right when you have a raised hearth, because it goes up too high and looks out of place.

If I understand you correctly, you plan to paint the black metal trim around the firebox white. Several comments about that: How will the white trim blend with a black screen? The contrast might not look right. White trim will show soot and be harder to keep clean than black. You will need to use paint designed for use in a very hot environment. You should probably scrub the surfaces to be painted with steel wool so that they are slightly rough because the paint will come off if the surface is very smooth.

I think replacing the sliders with white french doors will look terrific. I would also think about hanging something on the stone wall above the firebox -- actually, well above the firebox, say no closer than 2 feet, so it does not pose a fire hazard. The kind of thing that I think will look nice and finish off the fireplace is a large something like a fancy patchwork quilt, a hand-woven carpet or blanket with a Southwestern design, or even something with a Scandinavian design with bright primary colors. I think something like that would really dress up that huge rock wall.

Good luck with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here