Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ash pan or not?

Posted by dcumba99p (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 8:11

My wife and I will be installing an insert into our masonry fireplace sometime over the next few months and would like to hear folks opinions about ash pans. It seems ash cleanout would be a lot easier versus having to let the thing cool down. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ash pan or not?

One person's opinion. Integral ash pans are more trouble than they are worth. They can clog, stick and can dangerously increase the draft in the stove if they don't close fully.

There is a device named the Ashtrap manufactured in Ontario that I've been using for the past two winters. It's a metal wedge shaped container with a sliding cover.
You can scoop hot ashes into it, close the cover and remove the ashes to a safe container outside with minimal mess - no need to allow ashes to cool fully. I burn 24/7 and I use this method every two or three days.

Here's a second unsolicited opinion. If you want to seriously use wood heat, you're much better off with a free standing woodstove than with an insert. Much more heat without the need for an annoyingly noisy and frequently inoperable fan.

o

I have had both an insert and a freestanding stove. Both work very well. I rarely used the blower on the insert because it blew cool air when the stove cooled.
But since you have a fireplace, installing an insert is logical. Just get a quality insert and have it professonally installed.

o

Thank you for posting the ashpan - that looks like it will do the trick. Anything to cut down on dust when changing ashes will be great. mainegrower - would love to go the stove route but we just don't have room with the big masonry fireplace dominating the small-ish living room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here