Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodburning to fireplace?

Posted by bookgal (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 7:35

I have a woodburning stove that vents into a 27 ft high brick faced chimney. There is no fireplace, per se, just a hearth with the stovepipe going into the brick. Can I remove the wood stove andbrick to make this into a woodburning fireplace? I have plenty of space in the room to build. The chimney is double, with a woodstove connection in the basement, currently not used.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodburning to fireplace?

The only person who could even begin to tell you that would be either a fireplace contractor, a mason, or an architect.

If it was built originally as a fireplace, that's one thing. You'd have the structure you needed.

If not, if it was built as a chimney specifically for use with a stove, you'd have to build a firebox, a proper hearth, etc., and that could get VERY expensive.

In this day and age your best bet isn't to get rid of the stove in favor of a fireplace. If you want the ambiance of a fireplace, get a stove with a large viewing area, one that can have the doors open (with a screen across the opening) that will serve not only as a fireplace for ambiance, but also an efficient heating stove when you don't want the fireplace function.

o
RE: Woodburning to fireplace?

I agree with the other poster, a woodburning open fireplace is on average 30% efficiant, most new woodstoves are 80% effeciant. And like he said, get a stove with a big glass door that can be opened wide to get that "fireplace" feel. These days everybody is converting to stoves... its the way to go (or stay in your case). Check out my website for more info in this. www.southernchimneysweep.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Chimney Sweep

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here