Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toffee_el

Opinion on old-world fireplaces

toffee-el
13 years ago

I found pictures of these old world fireplaces in Europe. they are all over sized. Over 5 ft tall, and over 6 feet wide with huge openings. Sometimes have stand alone stove inside the opening, even seats. Mantels are huge too, often a piece of large lumber.

What's your opinion on these fireplaces? Look good? Enhance house value? efficiency?

{{gwi:1518211}}

{{gwi:1518213}}

{{gwi:1518215}}

>{{gwi:1518217}}

{{gwi:1518219}}

{{gwi:1518221}}

{{gwi:1518223}}

Comments (4)

• fandlil
    13 years ago

These are period pieces that are fun to look at and to experience on a trip to historic places in Europe. Something like these fireplaces, but certainly not as ornate, are the fireplaces in the Cracker Barrel restaurant chain. If you're near one, try to visit in the cold weather, when they have a roaring fire going.

In general, conventional woodburning fireplaces are inefficient -- most of the heat goes up the chimney. So they are never going to be EnergyStar rated. But it's possible that a wood burning stove inserted into such a fireplace would be energy efficient.

As to enhancing property values: I think a really elaborate huge fireplace like the ones in your pictures would be in the category of a unique special feature that would not appeal to everyone. So finding a buyer who shares your passion for such a thing and is willing to pay a premium to get it might be difficult, just like finding a buyer who wants a swimming pool or a tennis court in the back yard.

If you are contemplating something special like one of these fantastic fireplaces, consider as a more practical alternative an old fashioned Swedish or other Scandinavian woodburning or gas stove. Typically, they are made of cast iron, available in a variety of colors, and throw off a lot of heat. And they are fantastic to look at.

• toffee-el
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't mind the investment but just it's such an unique European thing that it may be a turn off to most potential buyers?

Out of curiosity, how many readers on this forum found these big fireplaces visually appealing?

• fandlil
    13 years ago

Before the collapse of the real estate market in 2008, many people were (foolishly, in my opinion) building homes much larger than they need. Some perhaps adorned them with such special things like the fireplaces that appeal to you. But those days are over, at least for now, and if/when they will return is anyone's guess.

If you have a really large room -- say, 40 by 20 feet with a tall ceiling, and maybe some interesting architectural details like wainscotting, crown molding, etc. -- you might want to consider spending the money for a very special custom huge fireplace to showplace that room. It will please you for the time that you live in the house, and will add to the overall value of the property to some extent. But you should do it primarily to please you. The possible added value to the property should not be a justification for the expense and fuss and bother involved in building the thing. And there will probably be quite a bit of fuss and bother. Is it built right? Is it energy efficient -- that's more and more important these days. Will there be cost overruns? You'd better have a contractor you can really trust.

To answer your last question: I for one find them visually appealing. But I'm not so sure I would want to have one. But, as they say in the real estate game, there's a buyer for every house. Of course, if there's only one buyer for your house, it might not sell so fast.

• wwwonderwhiskers
    13 years ago

The Romantic in me has always dreamed of a massive wood & stone hearth right in the kitchen, with an opening large enough to spit-roast whatever you'd like. This of course complete with seating, bread & pizza door in a parallel adjacent flue, and where the view does not interrupt anything else, and may be enjoyed by all.
    They are inefficient, and having just completed a set of Plans, can now attest to how incredibly expensive that romantic ideal would be. We barely squeezed in a corner, open wood-burning in an alcove off the kitchen - my fire-bug, romantic splurge.
    Good luck!