Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to dispose of ashes

Posted by heimert (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 22:31

What should I do with ashes from a wood-burning fireplace? In with the regular garbage collection? Any benefit to the garden from them?

(btw, I do know to let them cool and ensure there are no embers before disposing).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to dispose of ashes

I put them in a pile in the back yard. In the spring I spread them on the grass. WOW! I have a nice green lawn. Nitrogen is good for lawns and gardens.

o

i put mine in my compost heap. as a matter of a fact i need to add some other stuff since lately ash is all i been adding. you can also put them in a rotary or drop spreader and spread them on the lawn.

i have been known to dump them arround the base of some of my trees. no reason i did this other than that is where the previous owner dumped his ashes.

o

Spreading them on the lawn or tilling them into a garden is great. It has the same effect as lime although not as proficient. If you have clay soil, by all means, mix the ashes in. The ashes are known as "clay busters". Try not to put them in a pile over 6 inches high in an area where a caustic substance will cause problems. Just an fyi for those who care...straining water through the ashes produces lye, great for old fashion soap making.

o

Ashes will kill acid loving plants. I killed an evergreen tree and a few holly bushes by using my firewood ashes on these plants. Now I know better. I just put the ashes in the trash after they've cooled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here