Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epa certified wood fireplaces and asthma

Posted by gbig2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 20:28

My wife and I are thinking about putting a wood fireplace in our great room. We don't have a fireplace right now or a chimney. My wife has allergies/asthma. Do we have to worry about asthma with these newest EPA certified, high efficiency fireplaces or is the asthma concern with the older, open fireplaces? I was thinking about putting HEPA air cleaner in the great room just in case particles escape into the great room when cleaning the fireplace out or when loading wood. I'd love to hear from people who have asthma but get along with a fireplace with no issues...
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epa certified wood fireplaces and asthma

there should not be any difference in any open/epa/pre epa etc. fireplace and its effect on your wife's asthma. Any stove or heating appliance functioning properly will vent all combustion products outside. wood heat in general MAY aggravate her asthma if she's allergic to any pollen, mold, spores etc. brought in on the firewood regardless of what it is being burned in.

o
RE: Epa certified wood fireplaces and asthma

My mother has Asthma and sometimes has reactions to the wood that is stored downstairs if it has mold on it that she is allergic to. She doesn't have severe attacks from it and can handle loading the furnace but at times it does bother her. Depending on her allergies and asthma you might check into a pellet burning unit, I would think with the compressed pellets and dry material that mold and spores would be very minimal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here