Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace bump-out

Posted by wadevcamp (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 11 at 19:54

I have a 3 season porch on a concrete slab. We want to put in a gas fireplace and would like to make it flush with inside wall, so would need a bump-out. Problem is I don't want to put in a foundation for the bump-out since the floor is about 8' from the ground.

So the question is how is a bump out supported? My fallback is to call a professional to consult on the design, but the bump-out will be only 1-2' deep (haven't decided yet) and it would have clapboard on the exterior (i.e., nothing heavy). Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace bump-out

I'm working on a similar project - putting a gas fireplace in our living room (gable wall) with the floor about 5' above the ground. I've done some research but haven't found much yet.

Here are some photos I saved showing a wall framed and ready to accept a shop made bump out.

If I find out more, I'll share it here. Please do the same as I'll be checking back. I hate the idea of paying an architect for such a simple project.

o

Not sure if the OP is still following this or if I'm just talking to myself.

We had some friends over last night, one of whom is a GC.

I was telling him about my project and he said that the rule of thumb for cantilever is that you have to go back 6' into the house for each 2' of cantilever.

As mine is going on a gable wall perpendicular to the floor joists, I'll need to support the bump out with either a full block foundation tied into the existing footings or two piers.

This project just got more complex than I thought it was going to be.

o

Ha!

I found the solution:

From: Graphic Guide to Frame Construction: Walls, by Rob Thallon, architect and Associate Professor of Architecture at the University of Oregon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here