Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethd_gw

Gas fireplace on interior wall?

elizabethd
12 years ago

Hi. I have an old house (1897) but it does not have a fireplace, and never did. It is built of stone (first floor) and is a "half-double" with a thick brick wall dividing my house from my neighbor's. I would love to install a gas fireplace in the living room, but I don't know if I can due to the layout.

One wall is a large window bay, one wall is the shared brick wall, one wall is only about 4 feet long and opens to the foyer, and the fourth wall, where I want the fireplace, is an interior wall, with the cellar stairwell behind it.

Most of what I have read about the ventless fireplaces is discouraging, so I am wondering if I have any other options. Can a gas fireplace be vented "downward", like into the basement and then ducted outside? Or does anyone have any other suggestions or advice?

I love my house and don't intend to move, but I have always wanted a fireplace and have finally convinced my husband that a gas one would be OK, but now I don't know if it will work at all......and of course my budget is not unlimited, so that's a concern too.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (2)