Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756092

Insulating a wood burning fireplace wall

User
16 years ago

We bought our home back in April last year, so we didn't get any time to see how the cold creeps into it. As I sit here typing this on my living room floor, about 11' from my fireplace, I can feel cold radiating from the fireplace.

The fireplace is a floor-to-ceiling rock wall, which is flush with the interior wall. The fireplace essentially hangs off the outside wall. It and the flue are boxed in all the way up to the roof. The chimney box is open to the attic for some reason, so you can see the flue heading towards the roof. I haven't looked down it, but suspect it's minimally insulated, if at all. I'll have it sealed off this summer to keep the heat in the chimney box and not the attic.

Should the rock wall be freezing cold to the touch? Isn't it possible to insulate the backside of that wall so that the rock wall isn't radiating cold into the house? I've seen fire resistant insulation on TV shows (looks like a greenish fiberglass batt, but it's not fiberglass). I doubt spray-on foam insulation is safe around a fireplace.

Comment (1)