Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joc6820

Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful

joc6820
11 years ago

I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer, the Tureen model. I won't go into all the details unless others are interested. But basically:
-the fireplace doesn't perform as it's advertised to (flame)
-local dealer/service staff acknowledge this and have no solution
-Napoleon customer service in Canada has stopped responding to me, probably hoping I go away
The situation is not finished yet and may yet get resolved.
I'm posting this just as a caution for others who may be considering Napoleon products.

Comments (7)

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

I hear you joc. Others I know are none to pleased as well. The flame height never seems to be the same as in the showroom for any of the units. I was told that pressures vary, I believe NG is lower than propane, as well NG meter may not be giving you the proper pressure past the pressure reducing valve, I imagine the same problem could very well be the same with a propane tank. Check your pressure.

Wonder if they boost the NG pressure in the showroom, it could be done I suppose. I am sure that your warranty is as strong as the sheet of paper it's on. I am amazed at some of these warranties. You wouldn't believe the warranty from Home Hardware on a shallow well pump I bought last week. I brought it into the store and showed the owner, he was shocked, that's why we have an entire page for lawyers in the yellow book for a county of 42000 citizens.

I would suggest your warranty is your only recourse for whatever that's worth. I'm going to start reading warranties "before" I purchase, not when I get home.

Sorry to hear, Napoleons are not exactly cheap, high price low end.

My brother is an HVAC guy with 40 years under his belt, give some more info and he might have a few answers for you.

• joc6820
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Southern Canuck: Thanks for the response. If you look at Napoleon's advertising for this fireplace (and other contemporary models) they show a long, tall and thin flame. Maybe 18-20 inches tall and 1-2 inches wide. There are numerous photos on their web site and in brochures/marketing materials of this flame performance. I was not able to see one in a showroom before ordering this model. I assumed (incorrectly) that the fireplace would perform as it was advertised. The tall, thin flame was the main reason I purchased this model (also aesthetics, size, etc). Several visits from dealer reps and a Napoleon rep have basically concluded that "it can't do that." I get a low, wide flame over the whole tureen surface, maybe 3-4 inches tall on the high setting. The exact opposite of what the product is represented to do. This seems to me an obvious case of false advertising. If the fireplace really can't produce the flame it's advertised to, how can Napoleon present it that way? Have others who have purchased their products not experienced this? By the way, I'm using natural gas. Any suggestions on how I might proceed are welcome.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

As I turn around and look at the flame on my higher than normal BTU Majestic(can't remember exactly how many) the flame is about 4" high at the log set and an inch high on the front burner. When the wind blows off the lake the flame is much higher, about 8". It is burning lean i.e. too much oxygen. The same thing happened when the orifice closed down somehow and it was burning rich and filled the unit full of soot.

If you have gas you may have a gas stove, does it also have a lower than normal flame? I don't really think the incoming pressure is a problem, just a thought. I don't know how you would be able to check it as the metered control valve does not have a pressure gauge on it. I doubt the gas company will come out and do a pressure check but you can ask, that doesn't cost a dime.
    I did talk to kid brother this AM and he said the same thing as you, false advertising. I see these new slim line units on decorating/remodeling shows and it looks like oak burning in the unit.
    Until you brought up the point I hadn't really thought about it much because it sure is warm in here. I really think if you actually convinced Napoleon to replace it including labour you may have exactly the same results and they know that.

I would be interested to know what others experience is with the same unit.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

• adkison
    9 years ago

We're having the same problem in a newly constructed house with model LHD 62. Dealer says 4 inches of mostly blue flame is the best they can do. Napoleon is no help. (Our fireplace uses a propane conversion kit after dealer wrongly installed natural gas version of the fireplace). I would not recommend this product.

• K P
    3 months ago

We had the nz3000 installed 3 years ago. Couldn't use it the first year due to waiting on the certification, barely used it the second year and on year three the doors blew off. I called napoleon and they said the unit is warped due to excessive and it won't be warrantied in any way.

Napoleon is a dumpster fire of a company. 3 year old unit used for 4 months total on weekends and it's garbage due to over use.

• Dan Rees
    last month

Broke down just after warranty expired with light Southerm California use. Nightmare getting repair parts as well.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting