Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhondalee_ct

Wood Inserts - best brands

RhondaLee_CT
19 years ago

I have been researching wood inserts for my fireplace, and looked at the Regency I2400 medium insert (approx $3000 with piping and installation), and a cheaper Napolean insert (don't know the model # , but didn't like it as much as the Regency - it was about $500 cheaper). The Regency inserts are certified by the EPA. I also spoke to a different dealer that sells Quadra-Fire inserts, and he said the 2700i or 3100i inserts would cost $2500 - $3000 installed.

What kind of reputation does Regency have? How are their inserts? What about the Quadra-Fire? I will be using the insert for supplemental heat at most, unless I like it so much I decide to heat the house with the wood insert downstairs and the pellet stove upstairs... I have a raised-ranch house, with the fireplace in a large, open downstairs room, and an open stairwell to the upstairs living area.

Thanks for any more suggestions!

Rhonda

Comments (7)

• theplayer
    19 years ago

This site might be of help..user ratings of all types of stoves.

I would also suggest you check out the Jotul Kennebec insert.

http://hearth.com/ratings/search.php

http://jotulflame.com/kennebec.html

• onsite94
    19 years ago

rhondalee, I just had a regency/hampton with cast surround installed last week. Looks great and will heat my 1700sqft range to 80 degrees with no problem, the back rooms are a little cooler.Cost 3200 installed with blower and liner. Also looked at the jotul but picked regency.

• sandra_zone6
    19 years ago

We looked at Country Stoves, Jotul, Regency, Quadra-Fire, Avalon and picked Lopi. None are cheap. Add about $1K on to the stove cost for a stainless steeel liner and installation. Had our Lopi installed in November and have burned it almost daily since then. Do check the reveiws at hearth.com.

• RhondaLee_CT
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did check out the reviews at hearth.com. Overall I find they are all positive. I looked at Napolean, Quadra-Fire and Jotul, as well as the Regency I2400, and think I will stick with the Regency.

I have a dealer who is having a sale this weekend, so I am waiting to hear back from them on their sale price. I am also planning on getting a Harman pellet stove for an upstairs room, so I am hoping if I purchase both at the same time I will get an even better deal. I should hear back from them later today. I went up to see them yesterday...

I'll let you know the results!
    Rhonda

• jim125_2007
    16 years ago

I recently bought and had installed a regency I1200 which is the updated I1100 the installers took about 2 hours to install it.
    It only holds 3 pieces of normal cord wood which to my surprise heats my entire 1400 sf home to about 75 degrees and keeps my basement at 65 degrees and the insert is in my living room on the first floor and burns between 6-8 hours per load of wood and it burns 1/3 of what my old stove burned i now burn 24 pieces of wood a day apposed to 72 pieces i was burning in my old hearthmate.
    I totally agree with letting a qualified installer install for you as there will be demolition required because most damper plate openings are 5.75 inches and the liners are 6 or 8 inches and if not installed properly may cause draft problems damage to the stove which will void your warranty or may even cause a chimney fire not to mention the inserts are heavy mine weighs about 250 lbs which is managable for sure but some inserts weigh in at the 500-600 lb range it was well worth the $700 i paid for installation my whole package cost $3100 which is the cheapest i found in RI
    hope this helps
    Jim

• sonny300
    16 years ago

Jim: How big are the 3 pieces of wood that you load into your Regency? I`m looking at that one for a next year install. But the firebox looks very tiny. Are we talking 6inch rounds? or smaller? In my location most of the available wood is "fir" (a softwood). And I`m thinking that 6hours would probably be maximum burn-time. Very little hardwood available here on the West Coast. Right now we are burning 4 cords per season in our old Pacific Energy, would be nice to cut that in half.