Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottertail_gw

Fireplace question...repair or replace.

ottertail
11 years ago

We have an Surperior (Lennox) fireplace that is not working. We have been given an estimate of almost $600 to repair it. Does anyone know if you can buy the internal unit of a gas fireplace and replace the whole unit and how much that would cost. The doors and casement are fine....just the functionality of the gas unit not working. Any advice on where to go to purchase and approximate cost. We are reluctant to spend 600 on a builder grade 8 year old product.

Comments (6)

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

The question of repair vs. Replace would be based on a few things and you haven't said what the $600.00 repair is for. It would be difficult to say from here. A great quote from a poster answering a homeowners dilemma was, " no matter how high I stand on my chair I can't see that fireplace from here".

I was quoted $700.00 to replace the glass I cracked on my Majestic. A replacement unit is around $2000.00 cdn. I ordered the glass locally, purchased the packing and replaced it myself for $400.00. That includes the cost of the first piece of tempered glass (fireplace glass must be Robax, similar to Pyrex), that I had ordered shattered after a month. I chose to repair because the unit is only 12 years old and it was inspected in the fall by my HVAC guy and the main unit which is can not be replaced on my unit is the heat exchanger. I don't know long dear wife will be making me relive that one.

Give a few details and someone may be able to help you with a more informed decision.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SouthernCanuck:
    The part needing replacing is the gas valve. Our question is whether we should repair the gas valve or replace the whole heating unit. Are there internal gas heating units that can be purchased and replace in existing gas fireplace boxes?

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

The main internal unit is the heat exchanger that can not be replaced, at least I certainly have never heard of replacing one, never.

Questions to answer.

How old is the unit?
    What is the expected lifetime of the fireplace?
    How much to replace new?

Prices can vary state to state and country to country generally for labour, product prices are fairly similar unless in the Yukon, Alaska and Hawaii etc. Price a new unit. My rule of thumb is if the repair cost is 50% of the replacement cost and the lifetime of the appliance is past it's half way point I replace it. It is easier today to make that call as most products made seem to be disposable. I have gone through 3 fridges in the last 20 years while my elderly parents still are using the Viking refrigerator they purchased in,ready, 1978. Harvest gold is OK for Mom. She complained just this week their 7 year old microwave is on it's way out. The first one lasted 25 years. I reminded them they paid over $1000.00 for it back then.

Before I would replace I would hire a reputable HVAC tech that is well versed in NG fireplaces to inspect the heat exchanger, I'm somewhat surprised the tech. Didn't comment on the heat exchanger while he was checking the gas valve.

Hope this helps.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Southern Canuck,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Our fireplace does not have a heat exchanger. It is just a gas flame with no blower.

We will pursue another opinion and hopefully find a more reasonable option.

• yvonnebrehan
    7 years ago

So what did you finally do, replace the gas valve or replace entire insert?

I have a similar situation Majestic insert RHEDV42 installed 2010, Honeywell gas valve obsolete, replacement for a different gas valve quote is $600.00. Current insert Pilot light always works, gas to heat sometimes comes on. Error code 7 in Honeywell valve says ' Confirm stepper motor connection exists'. One service person says replace insert. New comparable millivolt insert $6000.00 for remove old insert and replace.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling