Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Grout Coming Out

Posted by debbie370 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 06 at 17:20

I've read all the postings in regard to replacing fireplace grout but still have questions.

We have a huge granite rock fireplace in our keeping room. At the bottom where the black metal meets the fire box (I hope I'm using the correct terminology here!) the grout is coming out in chunks. (Our home is only two years old!) This leaves an unsightly line of black metal exposed.

What do I buy to fill in this gap? It is about a 1/2 inch gap and runs the length of the fireplace. The grout that is coming out is the same grout they used to put the stones on the fireplace, sandy, gritty type. None of the grout that holds the stones is coming out or loose; just the seam along the bottom of the fireplace is my problem area. If I use the same type is it going to come out again????

I want to use something (easy I hope!) that will stay in once it has dried and will not crack and chip away again. Do I need to use something that tolerates the high heat from the fireplace or something that "gives" a little? All of our granite countertops were attached where they meet the walls with "sanded grout" that is flexible and won't crack. Do I need something similiar to this?

Thanks for all your help!

Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Grout Coming Out

It is coming out because when exposed to the heat from the fireplace the metal expands and contracts at a different rate than the mortar/grout, and the mortar/grout is not flexible. What should have been used is a high temperature caulk. If it's not available at HD you can get it at a fireplace store. I'm not sure if it comes with a sanded texture. If it doesn't, get some sand and right after you apply the caulk (while it's still tacky) sprinkle the sand over the surface and very lightly (without leaving impressions in the caulk) press it into the caulk. When the caulk dries, sweep up the excess sand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here