Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie370

Fireplace Grout Coming Out

debbie370
18 years ago

I've read all the postings in regard to replacing fireplace grout but still have questions.

We have a huge granite rock fireplace in our keeping room. At the bottom where the black metal meets the fire box (I hope I'm using the correct terminology here!) the grout is coming out in chunks. (Our home is only two years old!) This leaves an unsightly line of black metal exposed.

What do I buy to fill in this gap? It is about a 1/2 inch gap and runs the length of the fireplace. The grout that is coming out is the same grout they used to put the stones on the fireplace, sandy, gritty type. None of the grout that holds the stones is coming out or loose; just the seam along the bottom of the fireplace is my problem area. If I use the same type is it going to come out again????

I want to use something (easy I hope!) that will stay in once it has dried and will not crack and chip away again. Do I need to use something that tolerates the high heat from the fireplace or something that "gives" a little? All of our granite countertops were attached where they meet the walls with "sanded grout" that is flexible and won't crack. Do I need something similiar to this?

Thanks for all your help!

Debbie

Comment (1)