Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frodo_2009

wood stove

frodo_2009
15 years ago

hello ya'll..the gas prices went up this year and the propane. kicked me in the a$$...so..i am thinking of installing a wood burner to suppliment my gas

i have been all over the web, i am looking for a stove

to heat 1800 sq ft any referals for "reasonable"

stoves

Comments (4)

• maryland_irisman
    15 years ago

frodo,

Once you find a stove and start using it, you'll love it!!! You won't be satisfied going back to gas or oil. I can't help with recommending a current brand. I would suggest a Ben Franklin design. I say that since I use an air tight stove made by "All Nighter". They were sued by the Franklin folks for design infingement and aren't in business any more as far as I know. My point is, that particular design does a great job in the 3000 sq. ft. I am heating. It's on the lower level and we keep it adjusted to where the average temp of the house is 68-72 degrees. The lower level of course is a bit warmer. and it is mostly an open area. We use a couple of pedestal fans to circulate air past the stove which helps it migrate throughout the house. In general, the bedroom is around 68 degrees when I get up in the morning after it burns all night and that is fine for my family and me. No one is running around in coats and sweaters!!! I use from 3-5 cords of wood a year depending on the type wood and how long and cool the season is so, you may want to think about your wood source. I have another building of around 1600 sq. ft. were I use a pellet stove and it does a great job too, maybe that would suit you? The one I have is not fancy, just a basic pellet stove I have to manualy light. The hopper holds 1 bag of pellets and burns around a bag a day. I keep the hopper full each day and let it burn. Once a week I shut it down to clean the ash (like I said, it's not a fancy one.) I can say, in the 5 years I've had it, I never had a problem like the fancy ones I have read about.

I don't mean to throw a lot of info. out but I hope what I gave you will help you decide what to chose. I can give you more detailed info. if you would like.

• christopherh
    15 years ago

Frodo,
    Go to a stove shop. Go to TWO stove and fireplace shops. Look at the technology that is in the current stoves. Today's stoves are EPA rated and burn cleaner and use less wood than the old "Smoke Dragons" used in the 70's and 80's.

You want to heat 1800 sq ft? Is your home 1800 sq ft? if so, you don't want to heat the bedrooms as warm as the living areas. But there are many, many brands out there that will do the job with ease. Hearthstone, Avalon, Regency, just to name three. But I suggest you get a stove that's sold in YOUR AREA. Not sold by someone across the country where you can't get service if needed. AND DO NOT GO TO HOME DEPOT FOR ONE!! If you have any problems, HD won't be able to help you. You will need to go to the manufacturer for service. And lots of luck there!
    And you need to have the stove installed by a professional and certified to local codes. Cost? About $3,000 including installation. It would depend on whether you have a single or two story home.

I have been using a woodstove for over 20 years and althoough I have oil heat, the stove is the main heat source. I'm in VT where the temps can go to minus 30 in the winter and the stove keeps us very comfy. Even when the power goes out we're warm.

And to be honest, sometimes the fire in the stove is more entertaining than the garbage on TV today.

• frodo_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am in mississippi.it gets down in the single digets
    but mainly stays in the teens. my house is a 1500 sq ft
    i want to put a heater in the living room. i have gas heaters in the bathrooms that will takecare of the other end of the house. i will install it my self, i built this place by myself, wired it,plumbed it, hvac unit in the attic
    sheet rocked it
    i did not put the shingles on the roof, every thing else
    is MY FAULT lol but..i have seen heaters from $500-$3500
    and am trying to get my mind around a good,sturdy,
    you know...I am like ya'll, i can load it and clean it myself. i need no bells and whistles

• biglumber
    15 years ago

I have had good results with Lopi. I started with an Answer(model) in our previous home. Used it as an insert. When we built our house, I designed the house with a larger Liberty model. Our particular plan is very open and allows the stove to heat most of the 2500 sq feet. Unit ran around 2400 dollars with close to 1100 additional for the pipe and install. I think the blower was 200 dollars.
    When I find something good, I stick with it.
    Good luck

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County