Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quadra-fire Mt. Vernon

Posted by jiggreen (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 16:49

DH and I have been talking about a pellet/corn/biofuel stove for a few years now and are leaning towards the Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon model. We intend to use it as a primary heat source for our home and will be removing/moving some interior walls and doing some minor modifications to increase room to room venting. Does anyone use this stove as their home's primary heat source and if so, how is it working out for you? Are you having to supplement with any other type of heat, and if so..under what conditions? We live in south central pa, and a typical winter day has temps in the mid 30's with the overnight low averaging in the 20's. Our home sits on a hill and is subjected to a fair amount of wind, but we are working on sealing up air leaks and beefing up our insulation. We currently heat our home with a propane furnace (outrageously expensive, I just paid $3.75 per gallon for 200 gallons of propane that won't even last me through the end of the season) We also have to currently supplement with a portable kero-sun kerosene heater in the room we spend most of our time in. We spend an average of $2300.00 + per year to heat our 2100 square foot ranch style home and are looking to lower our heating bills as well as to become less reliant on fossil-fuels. The Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon model including installation and optional accessories will come to just under $5,000.00 total. I know we could put in a more efficient furnace or cheaper pellet stove, but I fell in love with the looks and finish on the Mt. Vernon (I chose the porcelain enamel finish in mahogany-type color...i forget what it's called!)

I'd love some opinions from current Mt. Vernon owners, and if anyone can post pictures I'd really appreciate it! We want to build a hearth to put the stove on (but I need ideas!) because I want it to be a focal point in the room.

Thanks!
jiggreen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quadra-fire Mt. Vernon

Do a web search on quadrafire mt vernon. I found some posts from 2006 from people having many problems with this model. I put in the simpler in electronics castile a couple of years ago and had no problems. I believe this model with the advanced electronics had/has problems from the web postings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here