Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettecityman_gw

Peterson Gas Valve Will Not Work Properly

vettecityman
12 years ago

I have a set of vented Peterson logs in my fireplace (propane). They were installed when I purchased the house six years ago. When I used them last winter, they worked fine and last spring I turned the safety switch off in the floor. When I tried to turn them on this winter they will not light or work properly. I have a single bar burner with the valving on the right side; I also have a remote control for the unit.

When I attempted to light them, I held in rotary knob and turned it clockwise and held it for 30 seconds then released it, turned it back to light the pilot (I have to use a match for my type). The pilot lit like normal, but the problem lies with the rotary knob and the toggle switch. I have a remote switch for the remote (yes, fresh batteries) and it SHOULD override the toggle switch. When I turned the knob to the "pilot" "on" position, the flame burned on high no matter what I did. The remote sensor did not turn the flame on or off (I heard it click in the main valve when I turned it in the "on" position; I disconnected the remote sensor and tried to use the toggle switch on the unit and it did not work, no matter "on" or "off" the flame burnt. If I turned the knob to the off position, I had a pilot light only. Basically, the "pilot" knob controlled the flame, in the "off" position, I had the pilot only; in the "on" position, I had the full flame and no way to control it. Is my toggle switch bad and how do I test it? Any ideas......TIA!!!