Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
rainbow on the glass

Posted by maryo (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 16:04

We have a vented gas fireplace. No dampers. There is a rainbow on the glass and I think it's from burning too hot. Flames get to a foot high after a few minutes of burning. We've got the gas turned as low a possible. We've had the glass replaced once and it's starting all over again. Now what do we do?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: rainbow on the glass

If you have no damper, you probably have a ventless gas logs system, which is dangerous and is outlawed in sleeping rooms according to building codes in many communities, because of the risk of oxygen depletion and/or carbon monoxide build up. Consumer Reports has a good article on the subject available free of charge on their website.

For safety, you should keep a window open a crack, which you may not want to do because it will bring in cold air, but which will compensate for the harm that your gas logs can do to your indoor air quality.

If the rainbow on the glass is due to excessive heat, the only solution is to shut off the system periodically to prevent overheating. Direct vent systems, which are safe and energy efficient (an a good deal more expensive than the unvented gas logs you have) usually come with a thermostat that turns the system on and off periodically so overheating does not occur. Without a thermostat, the only solution is to turn it off and on periodically yourself.


 o
RE: rainbow on the glass

maryo says the fireplace is vented and there's no reason to suppose otherwise. The only gas fireplace that have dampers in them are mostly open fireplaces that are rather old --- dating back to the 1960s-to 1970s in most cases.

Newer fireplaces use other design features to control the draft through the fireplace.

As to what might be causing the rainbow effect--- I don't know. I never saw that happen in a gas fireplace.

I'd call the retailer where the fireplace was purchased and ask them if you know which outfit it was. Other wise I'd call the fireplace manufacturer and ask for technical services, which usually connects you up to the engineers or service reps who are experts on the equipment.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here