Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chimney help

Posted by hostapasta (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 15:31

This is also posted on the Old House forum where it was suggested I post here. Our house was built in 1885 and I have a question about the chimney which is original to the house. The chimney is brick and there is some crumbling of the exposed brick in the attic portion. The chimney is not lined, originally the house was heated by coal, this was switched to oil in the 1930s-40s and a hot water baseboard/boiler system was installed in the late 1990s. We bought the house in 2002. The boiler is not a high efficiency boiler/furnace. We recently installed a tankless hot water heater which is directly vented to the outside. Previous to this all the heating and water used was vented through the chimney. We added vents to the attic in 2006, where this portion of the chimney is located.

We recently had a chimney expert/mason come to give his recommendation. He gave us a plan/estimate to add 2 chimney caps and additional flashing around the chimney on the outside and apply two products - Speedcrete and Conprocco to the exposed part of the chimney in the attic. I would like your comments on this plan - there is no cap on the chimney right now.

I hope I gave enough info for you to comment - feel free to ask for additional info. I value the knowledge of everyone on the garden web!

Thanks -
hostapasta (I am hosta, hubby is pasta!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chimney help

Go to the website hearth.com. They have a forum that is used by REAL experts on chimneys. They love questions like yours and will probably steer you in the right direction.

o
RE: Chimney help

Can't wait to find out what you dig up hosta! I think we're in the same position... we have obvious crystal deposits on the crumbling chimney that's exposed in our attic (that I JUST finished with air channels, insulation and dry wall - grrr).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here