Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifetojoeiii

Chimney help

wifetojoeiii
14 years ago

This is also posted on the Old House forum where it was suggested I post here. Our house was built in 1885 and I have a question about the chimney which is original to the house. The chimney is brick and there is some crumbling of the exposed brick in the attic portion. The chimney is not lined, originally the house was heated by coal, this was switched to oil in the 1930s-40s and a hot water baseboard/boiler system was installed in the late 1990s. We bought the house in 2002. The boiler is not a high efficiency boiler/furnace. We recently installed a tankless hot water heater which is directly vented to the outside. Previous to this all the heating and water used was vented through the chimney. We added vents to the attic in 2006, where this portion of the chimney is located.

We recently had a chimney expert/mason come to give his recommendation. He gave us a plan/estimate to add 2 chimney caps and additional flashing around the chimney on the outside and apply two products - Speedcrete and Conprocco to the exposed part of the chimney in the attic. I would like your comments on this plan - there is no cap on the chimney right now.

I hope I gave enough info for you to comment - feel free to ask for additional info. I value the knowledge of everyone on the garden web!

Thanks -

hostapasta (I am hosta, hubby is pasta!)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH