Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with our brick 86 inch fireplace

Posted by nancy_ta (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 15:11

Hi everyone-
This is my first time on this or any forum and I'm hoping to get advice. We are in the process of a kitchen remodel and it's flowing into our family room.
As you can see, we have quite a big brick fireplace.
We have a traditional home. There used to be 70's paneling and shelves on each side that we had removed and then the walls were painted.
What do you suggest we do in this room? Just a mantel shelf or a true mantel? Color? We night want to place a plasma on top.
Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with our brick 86 inch fireplace

There's the link to the fireplace.
http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/need_help_with_my_86_inch_bric.html

o
RE: what to do with our brick 86 inch fireplace

Yes, you should add a mantel to give the room a more traditional feel. Check out magazines for ideas. If you want a more modern look, paint the brick and skip the mantel. Think twice about mounting a TV over a fireplace. The heat will be hard on the electronics. Also the TV should be mounted at eye level or close to it. You will be craning your neck but the chiropractor will love your business.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here