Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshuaace

Gas insert worth the costs?

joshuaace
10 years ago

We recently purchased a new home. 2 stories, 2300 sf. We have an electric heat pump with back up resistance coil heating as the primary heat source. It was installed 3 years ago. The house was built in 1993 with a prefab wood burning fireplace in living room. Previous owners installed gas log set in the fireplace and they barely put out any heat. We are considering installing a direct vent insert but I want to know if it will save me any money. All I've ever used in the past was wood.

We would like to be able to keep the living room warm and maybe the master bedroom that is right off of it. The living room is 16x25 with 10 foot ceiling. Don't use the rest of the house much this time of year so not as worried about keeping them warm.

Already have a 100 gallon propane tank (owned) and gas line ran to the logs.

We live in indiana and have 3 cold months per year. Temps can be high around 30 and lows in the teens on average.

So in this scenario would we be able to save much money on heating costs using an gas (propane) insert? How much should we expect to pay for an inset and installation? How much propane would it burn per hour? Any specific model recommendations?

Comment (1)