Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebaran2_gw

Fireplace Remodel using Dynamic Mount

thebaran2
10 years ago

I began remodeling my home last month and the only place to put my tv was over my fireplace. Everywhere I read online said don't do it! It's too high, electronics and heat don't mix. Due to the layout of my home I had little choice.

A little more searching and I was able to find some solutions:

1. Heat - Fireplace gets very little use, however if you get a good size mantel, and mount it properly, it will deflect the majority of the heat. I went with a reclaimed 5" deep by 12" wide mantel. I have had no issues or worries about heat.

2. Height of T.V. - I went with Dynamic Mounting. The TV mounts about the mantel, however you can extend the tv below the mantel lowering it over 2' when you want to watch t.v.

The Dynamic mount does everything as advertised. It lowers the tv to the perfect level while watching the tv. when the tv is not in use it quickly goes up into place effortlessly. It is very high quality. I have no concerns having my tv on the mount, it isn't going anywhere.

If you get this mount plan on spending significant time laying out the placement of the mount on your fireplace. If I wasn't totally remodeling my fireplace it might have been easier or completely impossible to use the mount based on the height of my mantel. I spend a couple days going back on forth on the height of the mantel / mount. The higher you place the mount above the mantel the more downward travel you can get.

The instructions could be a little bit better, especially coming to the minor details like the tilt, but if you take and plan everything out it works perfectly.

The mount is a little pricey. I got the swiveling mount and it was over $500. About twice the price of a normal mount, but it is the only mount that I would use over a fireplace. If you right a review / blog / forum post like this one you can also get $100 back like me!

I have attached a picture of the finished product. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Comments (5)

• jen11k
    10 years ago

i think that hardware on the wall showing after the tv is lowered is a deal breaker for me

• hrr1
    10 years ago

I'm in the process of updating my brick fireplace and I like what you did with yours. I'm looking at similar stone. Did you tackle that project yourself? I take it the stone is a new addition to your fireplace. Any tips on stone installation? I'm not mounting a TV on mine since I have a open wall I have a TV mounted on.

Thanks,

HRR

• skeetie219
    10 years ago

Hello,

I am in the midst of remodeling our 1980 fireplace....thx for the picture. And I have somewhat the same dilemma with TV placement. The room is not deep and I worry about the sofa being to close or TV being to high.
    Any suggestions? I just received a quote for cultured stone with a wrap around mantel about $6500...no idea how that sounds.

• hrr1
    10 years ago

Skeetie219,

The price seems to be in the right ballpark to me for the work you're describing. Price of stone can vary quite a bit from what I've seen so it's hard to say for sure.

Get the details on how they're going to install the stone -- how they're prepping the surface. You don't want them just slapping it up on the brick. I take it that price includes installing the TV mount and pre-wiring. Make sure you think through connections needed before they wrap up -- hdmi cables for example.

As far as hight goes it seems like your options are limited if you're installing on the fireplace. Either the drop down mount as was described above or it's stationary and pretty high. Maybe put up a blue tape outline on the fireplace at the place it will be installed if not drop down and see if you're comfortable. I'm not a fan of watching TVs that are mounted high on a wall but some people are OK with it.

Good luck!

• islandcat
    8 years ago

https://www.dynamicmounting.com/purchase#rebate

We have had our down and out mount for a month now

we love it!!!! Best solution for mounting over a fireplace! We searched and searched we also get a refund for posting a review no problem with that we love it!!!