Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryebread2111111

Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?

ryebread2111111
9 years ago

Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single sided fireplace.

The Mendota FV41 has 40,000 btu with a fan.
The Heat N Glo True Series 42 is 54000 btu without a fan.

Anyone have experience of a fireplace heating a home with out a fan? Curious how much of a difference a fan makes.

Comments (3)

• gpmountainman
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with those two fireplaces, but we have a 40,000 btu unit in our living room without a fan and it really doesn't make a big impact to heating the room. My in-laws have fans on their gas fireplaces and it's a world of difference....

Put the fan in on a separate switch and then you get to decide when to use it or not :)

• unctim
    9 years ago

FYI. i have a wood burning fireplace with the built in fan (blowing thru the bottom and out the top) great for making noise but moves very little air. i or the people i know never use them. you would think fireplace makers would get with the times.

• User
    9 years ago

The fan in mine makes a huge difference. The flame without the fan running is pretty, but puts out about zero heat.

The fan I have is adjustable. The max speed puts out a lot of heat - enough to maintain temp on my first floor in the current winter conditions.

I agree with the previous poster that it is noisy - but on my gas model, without the fan....I don't think you'll get hardly any heat from it.