Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photonguy

New gas insert installed...air coming through the surround

Photonguy
12 years ago

I have a 70's built ranch that had a factory built fireplace (wood burning). As you know these are pretty much useless as far as heating as all of the heat goes straight up the chimney. So with this I decided to get a gas insert installed.

Initially I did not have the problem as in the midwest things have been pretty mild so far but this past weekend the cold winds kicked up and now I can feel the cold air coming from all around the surround of the gas insert.

The insert is a Napoleon, and it does have an intake and exhaust pipe going up through the existing chimney with a new top cap. Previously with the glass front you could feel the cold air through convection from the glass front...but now you can actually feel the air coming from all around the surround.

A call to the dealer resulted in "Well it must have always been there and you just did not recognize it". then I was told that I need to look to see if the air is coming in from somewhere else...just blowing off the issue.

So my question...is there some kind of an insulation or ? that can be used to stop the air from coming in from around the insert sound?

Thanks

Comments (2)