Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pellet Stove creating excessive soot in house

Posted by minski (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 08 at 13:36

We have and America's Harvest Pellet stove and this is our 2nd year. I don't recall the soot in the house being as bad last year as it is this year. We are currently buring cherry pits and we use the stove 24 hours a day. The problem is, my entire house (2800 sq. feet) is full of fine black soot. It is on the coffee tables, the windows, even in the loft upstairs. I ran my hand across the tv screen upstairs in the loft and it was completely black last night! I bought new mini blinds two weeks ago and they are now black. Please help! What are we doing wrong. All of this soot cannot be good for our lungs.

Thanks,
Minski in Ithaca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pellet Stove creating excessive soot in house

I think you need to call either the stove store or your installer: that soot indicates to me [a non-pro] that your vent system is leaking into the house.

This is very, very serious: if the soot is gettin in, so is CO2, which can be fatal.

o

Your chimny or pipes might be plugged- when this happened to me, I was puzzled, as I had just cleaned the chimny. I got into the chimny again, and found a dead bird partially plugging the pipe. The other poster was so right- CO is getting in also. ORUBORIS- CO2 is Carbon DI(oxide)- having 2 oxygen molecules. Carbon Mon(oxide), meaning 1 oxygen molecule. CO2 =Carbon Dioxide CO= Carbon Monoxide

o

minski : thank you for your post I am presently having the same problem with fine soot on walls and it seems heavier in areas that their is static electricity tv screens plastic switch plate covers and plastic blinds. I have had a bixby for 2 years and did not notice it so bad last year. My venting is directly out the wall and was cleaned at the start of the season. I have talked with my dealer about the issue and he hasn't had other complaints yet. Have you found others that are having the same problem, keep in touch looking for a solution. thanks Gary from Mich

o

I, too, am having soot problems inside my house due to my
new Newport Avalon pellet stove insert. I called the installer, who is a certified wood stove technician and he
said my pellet stove is defective and under a warranty, I
should be eligible for a replacement. I am still waiting for
this to happen, but is this a common problem with pellet stoves?

o

I've had my Enviro pellet stove for about 5 years and this has never been a problem, but that may be due to my keeping the vent clean. You also want to make sure the exhaust blower is functioning properly. I had to replace the bearings in mine several months ago because of excessive noise. While I had it apart I noticed soot build up in the blower housing and cleaned it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here