Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minski_gw

Pellet Stove creating excessive soot in house

minski
16 years ago

We have and America's Harvest Pellet stove and this is our 2nd year. I don't recall the soot in the house being as bad last year as it is this year. We are currently buring cherry pits and we use the stove 24 hours a day. The problem is, my entire house (2800 sq. feet) is full of fine black soot. It is on the coffee tables, the windows, even in the loft upstairs. I ran my hand across the tv screen upstairs in the loft and it was completely black last night! I bought new mini blinds two weeks ago and they are now black. Please help! What are we doing wrong. All of this soot cannot be good for our lungs.

Thanks,

Minski in Ithaca

Comments (15)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I think you need to call either the stove store or your installer: that soot indicates to me [a non-pro] that your vent system is leaking into the house.

This is very, very serious: if the soot is gettin in, so is CO2, which can be fatal.

• ilmbg
    16 years ago

Your chimny or pipes might be plugged- when this happened to me, I was puzzled, as I had just cleaned the chimny. I got into the chimny again, and found a dead bird partially plugging the pipe. The other poster was so right- CO is getting in also. ORUBORIS- CO2 is Carbon DI(oxide)- having 2 oxygen molecules. Carbon Mon(oxide), meaning 1 oxygen molecule. CO2 =Carbon Dioxide CO= Carbon Monoxide

• garywphillips_juno_com
    16 years ago

minski : thank you for your post I am presently having the same problem with fine soot on walls and it seems heavier in areas that their is static electricity tv screens plastic switch plate covers and plastic blinds. I have had a bixby for 2 years and did not notice it so bad last year. My venting is directly out the wall and was cleaned at the start of the season. I have talked with my dealer about the issue and he hasn't had other complaints yet. Have you found others that are having the same problem, keep in touch looking for a solution. thanks Gary from Mich

• schawkie
    13 years ago

I, too, am having soot problems inside my house due to my
    new Newport Avalon pellet stove insert. I called the installer, who is a certified wood stove technician and he
    said my pellet stove is defective and under a warranty, I
    should be eligible for a replacement. I am still waiting for
    this to happen, but is this a common problem with pellet stoves?

• bikesr2tired
    13 years ago

I've had my Enviro pellet stove for about 5 years and this has never been a problem, but that may be due to my keeping the vent clean. You also want to make sure the exhaust blower is functioning properly. I had to replace the bearings in mine several months ago because of excessive noise. While I had it apart I noticed soot build up in the blower housing and cleaned it out.

• blneuhaeusler
    6 years ago

I have same problem with soot. Not sure if it's how my husband cleans the stove or what. Periodically he uses a special vacuum for hot ash and cleans the inside out. Those fine particles go everywhere He try's not to let ash build up too much

• HU-994945682
    2 years ago

I have the same issue. I use only good quality pellets as well as professional installation. This is the third year I have used the Drolet eco 65. An expensive appliance. I only recently started complaint procedures with the manufacturer. January 1...2022

Keep you

• HU-556131197
    2 years ago

I use a shop vac to clean my pellet stove. I wonder if the vac air sends the ash up thus affecting walls, ceiling, curtains etc…..

• bikesr2tired
    2 years ago

Here it is 11 years since my last post and I just sold my pellet stove last summer. The stove was still perfect, but I did need to replace the exhaust blower 2 years ago. I sold it because of the room getting too hot on warmer days, because the fire runs constantly even at the lowest setting, when not calling for heat it still got too warm. Pellet stoves never really shut down. I was also having more trouble finding good quality pellets and when I did they were cost prohibitive! I changed over to a free standing gas stove so now I can keep the temperature of the room set at a precise temperature without all the hassles and expense. It's too bad really because I actually did enjoy burning pellets and soot was never a problem even when using a shop vac to clean it.

• Robert Norton
    last year

Hello everyone,

thanks for sharing all the knowledge. i cam home to our newly purchased summer cabin to find the entire house covered in a black dust. its in every single room and even inside somme cabinets!

its summer here in the Catskills so we are not using the pellet stove and its not even plugged in! We are convinced this must be an extraterrestial event at this point.

its so hard to clean off and conviced its just being smushed into any surface thats not real wood.

Please help!

• bikesr2tired
    last year

That's amazing! I sure can't give you any definitive answer what caused this. I'm just wondering if you experienced a downdraft from the stove, but pellet stoves are somewhat sealed so I doubt it. Do you have a fireplace? Could there have been a downdraft through the flue that caused soot to back up into the house? Is there more in some rooms than others? This may help you pinpoint the source. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

• Robert Norton
    last year

Thank you @bikers2tired
    So, yes, the stove is actually placed in front of an old fireplace which is closed off and the duct is bow going into and up the old fireplace.

The room with the most soot is in the bathroom, the furthest from the stove!

Thanks foe helping us solve the mystery.

-rn

• Robert Norton
    last year

Some other details,
    There is no soot on the walls or ceiling!

The black dust has no odor either.

It must be extraterrestrial!

• bikesr2tired
    last year

I'm beginning to think it is extraterrestrial! If it was soot you would think that it would be all over everything. I read that it can be caused by deteriorating duct linings.