Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
corn stove placement in home

Posted by edwi (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 06 at 12:56

I'm installing a 55,000 btu corn burner in my 1922 two story home. It has a lot of small rooms and I really don't want to remove walls now. I don't think that I'll get the air flow needed to heat the whole house by putting it on the first floor. Any info on the best place to put this unit in the basement would a great help. Any thoughts on having a cold air return near the stove?

Thanks, Ed

PS, great forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: corn stove placement in home

How about putting air grills in the walls between rooms, floor and ceiling?

Putting the stove in the basement is also a tried and true method, as well.

Two ways of doing it...

1 is simply let the stove super heat the basement, with some heat getting upstairs...

2. Install some sort of circulator system. A guy I know built a brick alcove in his basement for his wood stove, and installed a high speed fan and the small diameter flexible duct work to several points in his first floor.

That system actually works like a champ in keeping the first floor nice and warm in the winter.

o

Thanks for the input. We decided to go with the corn furnace instead. A little more money, but we are worth it.

o

What corn furnace did you end up going with? We are looking at putting one in our house..

dp

o
RE: corn stove placement in home/ new corn furnace

We are getting an Americian Energy Systems furnace. It just came in. Should be up and running in a week or two depending on when I can get to it.

o

I have a woodburner in my basement. If I put a corn stove in my living room, will this really heat my home and save me money on my electric bill? We heat with electricity.

o

"I have a woodburner in my basement. If I put a corn stove in my living room, will this really heat my home and save me money on my electric bill? We heat with electricity."

- You have to be able to distribute the heat throughout the house to avoid hot spots. Depending on your electric rates, heating with resistance electric can be very expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here