Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace inserts

Posted by susiezone5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 05 at 12:54

I''m so glad I found this site before following up on a purchase of a gas DV fireplace insert. At least I know what I don't want to buy now.
We pretty much live in our den-16x20 . 3 outside walls include 8'patio doors facing N. Every unit we have looked at thus far is rated for a much larger area. We want to take the chill off this room without boosting the main furnace, but not have it heat up so fast we have to keep turning it off, meanwhile not being efficient either. (Wisconsin winters) Do any of you have experience with units that put out maybe 12000 BTU to heat 300 sq feet? This room is "self contained" behind the garage so any extra heat would not warm up the other rooms on the 1st floor?
Chilly these cold nights but thinking economy as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace inserts

Susie,
Check out Hearthnet.com. They have a wealth of info and also a users ratings page.
Good Luck

o

susiezone5 -- Do you want an insert -- what would go into an existing masonry fireplace in the room to make it more efficient, or are you adding a gas fireplace or stove to the room?

If you're looking at adding a gas fireplace, try the thread linked below. The Avalon "Hideaway"/Fireplace Xtrordinair "Bed & Breakfast" DV fireplaces are designed for smaller spaces up to 650 s.f.

If you're looking for an insert for an existing fireplace, I won't be much help there. The ones I've seen have been about 16K BTUs & up. Not to say there isn't something out there, I just haven't seen it. The BTU rating might be somewhat different on each model depending on whether you're using propane or natural gas, so look for that.

p.s. I have a natural gas insert from Fireplace Xtrordinair & it's been great, but it's rated for up to 2K s.f.

Here is a link that might be useful: THS Bedroom Fireplace Thread

o
RE: fireplace inserts - free-standing stove

susiezone5 -- I wanted to add than another option -- if you're adding a heating appliance to the room -- might be a small free-standing gas stove like the one linked below....

Here is a link that might be useful: HearthStone Tudor Gas Stove

o

We have a large brick fireplace already in the room. We have a Fuego wood burning insert about 26 years old but I am now allergic to wood smoke so we have not used it for several years. That is why we were thinking of a gas insert DV to replace the Fuego, but small enough not to overheat the room. I have contacted several brand managers and been told their units would "overpower" our 300 sq ft. den. Also told the bed and Breakfast and other similar units have to be installed between studs in a wall, not as an insert.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here