Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uninstalling a ventless gas log

Posted by baboso2 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 12:50

Just wanted to find out what I need to do to remove a ventless system and go back to burning wood. My wife can't stand the smell of the system we have and when we lost power for a week it was not fun living with the smell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uninstalling a ventless gas log

I would hire a contractor who installs gas logs, either the one who installed yours or another one. They should be able to make a house call and give you a free estimate.

My guess is that removing or capping the gas line and opening the chimney by re-installing a damper that can be controlled instead of one that's fixed in the closed position should be not so difficult. But there may be other things that were done to your firebox that could be more difficult to reverse. Better get an expert to look it over.

Then there's the question of what to do with the gas logs. I would junk them because I don't think that kind of system should ever be installed, and my conscience would not let me profit by selling it to anyone. But if you can use it in a patio on your back yard or other open space, that might be worth considering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here