Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Burning Stove in New Construction

Posted by ronellis (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 12:28

We just designed a new 1684 sq ft vacation home in New Braunfels, Tx with a conventional fireplace. The contract with the builder is signed, the loan is approved, and the appraisal is done.

We're now considering a wood burning stove instead of the fireplace, but we want to keep the aesthetics of our stone fireplace inside and full stone chimney outside. I also would prefer a stove instead of an insert.

Can anyone recommend a stove that works well as a "hearthmount" and can be vented through a fireplace chimney (through a stove-sized pipe)?

Anyone have pictures that shows this type of set up?

I'm looking for something that I can present to my builder that will necessitate the fewest design changes.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Burning Stove in New Construction

I would take the dimensions of the fireplace to a dealer and ask then which models would fit your situation. If possible I would spend the money and get a good unit, Jotul makes a great product. Also have the combustion air hookup installed, you'll never regret it. A dealer can also tell you what. if any' changes would be needed to vent a stove in a masonry chimney.
Realistically this shouldnt cause any design changes for the builder, but you can guarantee they will try and make you pay for SOMETHING. When we build our home 10 years ago the builder practially wanted money any time I had a question about the construction.

o
RE: Wood Burning Stove in New Construction

You can look into some really nice built in stoves. One is Regency and that's the brand I have. But there are PLENTY od reputable brands out there that will give you just what you're looking for.
The link below will show you what this type of stove looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regency

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here