Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb52899

Outdoor fireplace tools

Debbi Branka
11 years ago

We had this fireplace built in our backyard in December. My husband wants a fireplace tool set, so I searched for a stainless steel set since it would only be used outdoors and ordered it for him for Christmas. It was made by Uniflame. First I ordered it from a local family owned fireplace shop (for $300). They called and said their supplier was out of them and didn't know when they'd get them again. So we cancelled the order and I ordered the same model number from Amazon (for $180). It arrived broken at the welds on the stand. I returned it and ordered the same model from a Michigan company online (again for $180). It arrived all intact, but the welds are horrible. It's very poor quality. The description says 304 stainless steel. I looked that up online and found that 304 is the standard 18/8 stainless steel. A magnet does NOT stick to this tool set. It's just cheaply made and I'm pretty sure that one rain outside and the set will be rusty. When it arrived, the box says Made in China. I can't find Made in USA stainless tool sets. The Michigan company tried and they can't find anything either. We have a Napoleon grill that was made in Canada that we are thrilled with. I emailed them. They don't make SS, but they suggested powder coated, but also cautioned that they've never tested them outdoors for an extended period of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a set that can be left outside most of the year? We will bring it in for the winter, but from spring through fall, it would be outside and uncovered. I don't want to end up with a rusty set that is falling apart. We are in the Detroit area. Thank you!

Comments (6)

• nhb22
    11 years ago

I do not have a suggestion for a tool set other than perhaps looking at junk shops, antique stores, etc. and get an old brass set. otherwise, you'll just need to bring a set in when rain is predicted. That's what I do with the mirror over my outside fireplace.

Speaking of rain, do you have trouble with rain coming through your stone and seeping inside of the fireplace? We have brick and that's what's happening. We also have gas, so the fiber stuff around the grate is getting soaked and the pilot light goes out when wet. So irritating!

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response newhome. I have not noticed rain in the inside of the fireplace. We've only used it once, this past Saturday when it was a freaky 55 degrees on Jan. 5. It rained a teeny bit that night, and we had no issues. Of course, we don't have gas. Just wood. I can't believe with all these outdoor fireplaces and fire pits, there are no outdoor tools. Guess I should invent some and make millions!

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

check out Plow and Hearth...they have outdoor tools.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

We have had drenching rain for the last 4 days, and then 4" of snow this evening. The water seeps into the brick and then trickles down from the roof of the box. UGH!

Good luck finding the tools. Nothing is made well today, and why I mentioned the old brass. How about wrought iron?

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank's Sasafras. They have some neat things! The only outdoor set they have is the exact set I've bought twice. Looks great in the picture, but it made in China and not the best quality. We decided to keep it, for lack of finding anything else. We'll see how it holds up. I see Plow & Hearth has a USA made set (but not for outdoors) for $750!!!

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

oh, sorry. We have P and H tools and they are sturdy and if you just give them a nice cleaning, a graphite spray, and don't let them them "lay" in water they hold up fine. I wasn't aware of the made in China but we've ours for so long I didn't think to look at that. I had some old brass (ugly and flimsy) tools left behind by previous owners and they are now garden decor...metal can last forever and find new use when you find something better :)

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz