Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pocahantas_gw

design ideas when removing a raised hearth

pocahantas
13 years ago

I need help, advice and ideas please. I got stuck on a remodel. Does anyone have any ideas on how to visually anchor a fireplace when a raised hearth is removed?

I am remodeling my kitchen by removing a load bearing wall. The remodel has moved into my living room since I needed to put a floor where the wall was. I'm removing paneling and will texture and paint instead. Now the contractor is asking about the fireplace. My home was built in the 70s and has a floor to ceiling brick surround fireplace with a raised hearth. The hearth protrudes to the area where the wall was, so it must be modified.

I'd like to drywall above the mantle, pul a synthetic stacked stone surround and demolishing the hearth. The goal is to put down flagstone in front of the hearth so it's level with the floor and doesn't obstruct traffic.

I don't know how to address a "floating" fireplace that's a foot off the floor. I don't want to go to the expense of moving the firebox. Does anyone have any ideas on how address this issue?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH